Saturday, December 9, 2006

Off to the Tailor in Bangkok

In the true spirit of globalisation I buy not so much as a pair of jocks all year round in Australia then hit my favourite tailor shop in Bangkok to stock on a years worth of clothing. It sure beats paying a fortune for cheap chinese crap in Australia and the savings help subsidise travelling.

So it was off to visit the old chap who runs Oasis Tailors in Petchburi Road. Despite being a regular I can never find his shop in the chaos around this busy street and it took a while in the hot sun.

There was also a run in with a couple of touts on the street who swore blind that Oasis had closed up shop and they would take me somewhere better. It took a real firm exchange of words before the commission hungry jackals left me be.

Eventually I found the right place. I like this particular Tailor because he has no class at all and there is no slick sales talk. The old guy dresses in a singlet and shorts, is too cheap to switch on his airconditioner and there are no free beers or other inducements.

More importantly his prices are good and past experience has taught me his clothes last for years, unlike some of the slicker places around which sell clothes that fall to bits.

For the record the prices were 800 baht for long sleeved mens shirts and 1200 baht for trousers.

No comments: