It's been a few years since I have been in Singapore and I was warned that the quaint old Chinatown area had been gutted and sanitised. True, but it is now a fairly pleasant and neat shopping district with some nicely decorated buildings and plenty to see, do , eat and buy.
I caught a glimpse of two old chinese guys hunched over a table and rushed over, happy thinking I had discovered a Mah Jong game and that the old traditions still survived. Wrong. The guys were hunched over a laptop and were using wireless internet which these days blankets most of Singapore and is free to boot.
I put away my camera and slunk away to explore the souvenir stalls and eating areas. Still a great place for a chinese meal and whilst the shopping is not cheap these days, Chinatown is still worth exploring. There is also an excellent Hindu temple who's name escapes me but we got some great photos there and will publish them in January.
The cool thing about chinatown is that there is an MRT station right in the middle so you can catch a train back to your hotel quickly and comfortably.
Tuesday, December 5, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment